Snort mailing list archives

RE: NAT Penetration Techniques

From: "Jeff DuVall" <abyssleaper () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:32:59 -0800

While I'm not an expert at NAT/Penetration/SNORT, I might be able to shed some light for you. I have a similar setup where my Firewall NAT's all connections to the outside world. For example, I might have 10 connections to the outside world from the following 10 imaginary internal IP's:

192.168.1.1
192.168.1.2
..
192.168.1.10

and they will all appear to the outside world as 198.6.1.1 (if that is my public NAT ip) You firewall keeps track of which internal IP's have initiated a connection, and routes the traffic to the correct workstation, even though you have NAT in place. The reason you are seeing these alerts is due to the fact that your firewall is re-routing the packets to the correct IP, and your internal Snort is giving you the alert on the payload contained in that packet. The external sources dont' have any idea what your internal addresses, and couldn't use them unless they had access to your internal network.

On my system, the majority of the shellcode alerts are false, as the signature is picking up on HTML code from normal web traffic.

Just my thoughts here..

-Jeff

<..snip..>