Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie question

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:22:21 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Jhumri Tilayia wrote:

Well, I assume that because it's a Network IDS, it sniffs packets. Will it
let me (for example) write a rule that looks for certain HTTP requests,
without specifying the whole IP packet (i.e. can it intelligently decode the
protocol stack?). Since with TCP, a given request could be split across
multiple packets, can it decode a whole stream (like Ethereal does)?

Have a look at the FAQ as it answers a lot of common questions.

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#1.6
http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#3.14

Those two links pertain to your questions.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy