Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert vs. Log?

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:15:16 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Nels Lindquist wrote:

Okay, I'm confused.

That's Ok.  I'm fusedcon.

What exactly is the difference between "log" and "alert?"  I'm using
snort 1.8.3 with the following output configuration in
/etc/snort/snort.conf:

See:  http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/logging_methods.txt

[...snip...]

Now, I was under the impression that logging to a database was the
desired behaviour, and that doing so would override the default
logging to syslog, text file etc.  However, alerts are still being
recorded in /var/log/snort/alert in plain ASCII.  I don't want 'em
there; I'm using ACID to look at the alerts which are logged in the
MySQL database.

Quick-n-Dirty answer:  symlink /var/log/snort -> /dev/null

Longer answer:  Lemme peek at the source.  :)

Hope that helps some!

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams