Snort mailing list archives

Re: Invalid rules

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:33:38 -0500

Mike,

you've checked to see that classification.config is present along side your rules, which is good.. but it still looks like the classification.config is not properly setup. Paul's problem looks like it might be a typographical error in a rules file, as his output shows the file gets included before the rules files are loaded. I've never run demarc, but Paul might consider checking syslog, or trying to run snort directly from the command line to see what the real error messages are from snort itself, it might give him a better idea as to what is wrong.

As for Mike's problem:

Did you confirm that snorteth1.conf.tst contains an include for the classification.config like this one:

include classification.config

does it include it *before* any of the .rules files are included?

The "stock" snort.conf file includes the classification.config right above the comment block for the rules file section...
-----------------------

#
# Include classification & priority settings
#

include classification.config

# Step #4: Customize your rule set
#
# Up to date snort rules are available at the following web sites:
#   http://www.snort.org
#   http://www.whitehats.com
<snip - more comment block>

include bad-traffic.rules