Snort mailing list archives

Re: Signature DB - Is it being updated?

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:28:23 -0500

I know the sig people are probably very busy, but a signature I queued up,
wrote a report for and submitted it 2 about hours later on Friday had gone
back on the unfinished list.  I've checked a couple of ofther sigs that have
been submitted to the list about the same time and they seem to have
suffered the same fate ....

If it is not possible to keep up with 'flood' ;-) then would it not be
sensible to increase the timeout a little before returning them to the
unfinished list?

We started out doing that, then a jerk queued every signature all at
once.  Instead of engineering an overly complex solution to the
problem, I set the queue timeout to 24 hours.

I've bumped up the queue timeout to 72 hours to give the reviewers
a bit more of a buffer.

Again, thanks for submitting information.  I really appreciate the
hard work from everyone, as does most every snort user I am sure.

Just FYI, I am working on a method to bundle up the information in a
format that allows for easily redistribution (and printing).

--
ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets.
-- Jonathan Guthrie in the scary.devil.monastery