Snort mailing list archives

Re: [OT] libpcap file formats

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 16:30:53 -0800

I, myself, don't know the answer to your question, but I'm amazed at
what a google search turns up:

A search for "0xa1b2cd34"

See: http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/1999/msg00120.html

"Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:16:49 -0800

"Alexey Kuznetsov's latest patch to "libpcap" lets it read the old
format, as well as the new format *with* a changed magic number.
Capture files written by RH 6.1 would have to have their magic number
changed to 0xa1b2cd34, in the byte order of the host on which they were
written, in order to allow them to be read by the latest Kuznetsov
"libpcap", and files written by that "libpcap" won't be readable by the
old "libpcap" or the RH 6.1 "libpcap", just sufficiently recent versions
of Alexey's patch."

And for "0xa1b2c3d4"

See: http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2001/02/msg00013.html

"Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:11:20 -0800 (PST)

"All numbers are in the byte order of the machine that wrote the capture;
that byte order can be determined by looking at the first 4 bytes as a
4-byte integer - if it's 0xa1b2c3d4, it's the same byte order as the
machine reading the capture, and if it's 0xd4c3b2a1, it's the opposite
byte order."

So I'd guess that it has something to do with determing the byte order
(endian-ness?) of the computer that (libpcap?) is running on, and that
it was changed to indicate version changes back about 1999.

Or maybe not...

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?