Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to merge in rules in current snort

From: Joel Hatton <j.hatton () mailbox uq edu au>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:10:12 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Hi again,

After some searching, it appears that my previous question covers two
areas so I'd better clarify it a little.

I'd like to know why the rules download contains base Makefiles (but no
configure program) and replacement config/MIB files. Is there a correct
way to use these Makefiles to recreate/install the rulefiles, or are they
there for another reason? (and where's the README for this...) At the
moment I have a clean installation, so I'm not really needing a merge
utility for now, I just want to use what I've downloaded correctly.

Merging seems to be another matter and I've found some references for
utilities that do this but I'll save questions in that area until after I
understand all the files in snortrules.tar.gz.

thanks,
joel