Snort mailing list archives

AW: How to ignore ping/icmp traffic to-from a host

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:21:28 +0100

Use so-called pass rules, i.e.

pass icmp any any -> any any

Also you'll have to use snort's commandline option -o

Take a look into the snort user's manual for more on that issue.

HTH,
Sandro

I'm a bit of a newbie with snort, so pardon my ignorance.  I have
tried to find this info elsewhere with no success.

I am trying to tell snort to ignore icmp/ping traffic to and from a
specific host.  This host is used at 10 minute intervals to ping a
bank of servers to monitor up/down status.  As snort is currently
configured, this ping sweep triggers a snort alarm.  Can anyone help
me out with the appropriate entry in the rule set?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve