Snort mailing list archives

why are we here...

From: "Jeff Jennings" <jjennings () zoominternet net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 07:41:01 -0500

For all us I believe there is a single quest and that is to make our
systems more secure.

I received a number of emails last night from individuals saying they
disagreed with members of the list that said it was wrong for me to post
someone's IP address.

If everyone would follow the thread they would see that I was not the
original poster of the IP address. If you want to blame me for something
any
Hacker with an IQ of 60 could have determined in a prior email for
themselves than have at it. It matters not to me.

That said if we feel it's a good idea to publish rules to prohibit the
posting of IP addresses, I'm all in favor. I also belong to an anti-spam
list and I can tell you that a number of the people on that list have
personally become a target for spammers because of their LARTs and
aggressive attacks on spammers. What does that mean; I'm not really sure
but sometimes it pays to keep a low profile and "walk softly but carry a
big stick".

What does matter is that every day I learned more from all of your and
I've been able to help numerous people save their personal time from
lessons I've learned in the past.

What matters to me is:
1) Making my systems more secure
2) Learning
3) Sharing
4) Becoming more efficient
5) Helping other become more efficient

and finally,

6) reading less than brilliant posts to justify the drinking of beer. By
the way, I had two great Bass Ales last night while dining with my
beautiful girlfriend on the waterfront in Wilmington, Del. Hope you all
did too!

:) Jeff