Snort mailing list archives

Re: A case of beer on 63.204.135.168

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:04:22 -0800

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 06:14:12PM -0500, dr.kaos wrote:
On Friday 22 February 2002 04:48 pm, Jeff Jennings wrote:

<snip>

Ok, now, I don't mean to be a dick... but...

Posting someone else's IP to the list, at least in my book, qualifies as bad
practice. Granted, the guy's box may be insecure, but so are those of the
majority of the Win box owners out there. Hell, for all we know, this list is
subscribed to by countless lurking script-kiddies just _hoping_ someone will
post info like this to the list.

Let's all do the world a favor and help each other _improve_ the security of
each other's networks. If you're really concerned, try to contact the
owner of the box, or more easily, his ISP, and notify him/them of the
problem. Posting his IP could be constitued as _part_ of the problem.

<more snip>

I used to feel the same, back in November, maybe, but it's late
February 2002 and the incessant rain of Code Red/Nimda probes
continues unrelenting.

My personal opinion about all the infected boxes that are clearly
utterly unmaintained by anyone is: "Screw 'em"

I mean, these clowns are not paying a bit of attention to what they're
doing, and they're ignorant to the fact that their boxes are still
attempting to infect other clueless idiots^H^H^H^H^H^H people's boxes.

Off with their heads!

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?