Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Crashes

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:00:22 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Tony Carothers wrote:

After starting Snort, about 10 minutes in to it, it dies with this error.
Any ideas?

Yep.  You're running on a MS platform.  ;-)

Log directory = log
Initializing Network Interface \
ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
        syntax error
PCAP command: Files\Sourcefire\Snort\snort.conf -l C:\Program
Files\Sourcefire\S
nort -N -A full -h 192.168.1.253/32 -i 1 -o
Fatal Error, Quitting..

It's acutally a fairly common error.  IDSCenter/Snort/Something on the Win32
platforms need to use short pathnames or to _not_ have a space in them.  As it
stands, snort is seeing your interface as "\".  Note the line that says "PCAP
command: Files\Sourcefire\Snort\snort.conf -l ..."?  That's where your problem
is.

Fix?  Not 100% sure.  I'm not Win32 clueful.  I'd say uninstall all the parts,
and then reinstall using shortpathnames or into a dir like "C:\snort".

Good luck!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy