Snort mailing list archives

Re: Article on Securityfocus

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:58:12 -0500

On 2/15/02 6:22 PM, "Coochey, Giles" <g.coochey () btinternet com> wrote:

A colleague pointed me to the article at
http://www.securityfocus.com/new/332. While I subscribe and participate in
the snort-sigs list I don't receive the snort-users list so I apologise if
I'm covering "It's in the FAQ" material (Although I checked the snort-users
archive)

Marty,

Do you have any plans to close the source for future versions of snort?

No, I've committed many times publicly to keeping Snort open source and I
intend to keep it that way (and more to the point, I've also convinced my VC
of the necessity that it remain open source).

I enjoy working on the sigs and particularly contributing on the sig
documentation project:

http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1002
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1251
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1256
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1322
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=386
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=492
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=523
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=547

While I understand that the money has to come from somewhere, I'd like to
hear a statement that snort under UNIX (great IDS, by the way) will remain
open-source for the foreseeable future.

It will remain open source as long as I'm involved with it.  How's that?

PS If not? can I have a job? :-), only kidding.

:)

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch - Founder/CEO Sourcefire Inc. - (410) 552-6999
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com