Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fw: BAD TRAFFIC same SRC/DST

From: Saint James <the_saint_james () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:08:51 -0800 (PST)

 Grabbed  the MAC address on these,
 it is not a local router for either.

James here.....

I can see how this statement was confusing. I do
realize layer 2 is always local/LAN and does not
"follow" the IP. I've never seen my Snort box, my
office is 100 miles away from where it sniffs. Not
till I got out the network maps did I realize I was
assuming the wrong routers/MACS. Once I was looking in
the right place, the DST (MAC) resolves to the
Ethernet on the border router. That makes more sence.