Snort mailing list archives

RE: Running Win2K in Stealth Mode

From: "Chris Arsenault" <carsenault () firstedcu org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:50:21 -0600

The four things I have done:

Setup Win2k in Stealth

Unbind all NIC cards (1 on DMZ & 1 External layer of firewall)

Added 2 receive only cables, available on Snort FAQ

Added 2 Ethernet taps, a bit overkill....but why not be paranoid!

Have a third NIC card to access ACID & Demarc management interface

Log everything to MySQL

Log everything to alert.ids

Upload alert.ids to aris hourly http://aris.securityfocus.com

Create beautiful reports for management via aris :)

This complete setup was approved by our board and is currently in
production.  The only changes I will make in the future is to move the
sensors from Win2k to freebsd or linux running on Server class machines
and logging to MSSQL.  Also, setup https access to Demarc from the DMZ
so that I can have the monitor running at home 24 hours a day.

Chris Arsenault
Network Administrator
First Educators Credit Union
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer