Snort mailing list archives

Using snort on a switched network

From: "Linux Boy" <cslinuxboy () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:21:37 -0700

Hello Everyone,

One quick question. How does snort do NID on a switched network? Is it less productive on a switched network? The reason is is that I am on a switched network and would like to use snort. However, my whole network is behind our firewall and many people suggested not to run snort on the same machine as the firewall. So if I run snort on another machine outside the firewall, but on the same network as the firewall (also switched), will snort detect port scans, etc. directed towards my firewall and machines behind it? If so, how does it work? Thanks in advance.

Mike