Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2 bugs in ACID v0.9.6b17

From: roman () danyliw com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:11:33 US/Eastern

Erik,

[snip]

On the main screen, click on the percentage of total traffic link for
portscans.  After the first page of portscan data is displayed, click on the
"Unique addresses: source" link in the "Summary Statistics" box.  Although
all my portscans are identified with source IP addresses, clicking on this
link shows that all addresses are unknown.  I would have expected a summary
breakdown of all the unique IP addresses that portscanned me.

This is not a bug.  The IP addresses associated with portscans are not
actually stored in the database.  The fact that you see source addresses
in the alert listing page is misleading, since this is achieved with "text
mangling" of the signature.  If you have a copy of the portscan.log, you
can set it in $portscan_file of acid_conf.php and view what portscans a
particular IP generated.  However, getting a list of unique address which
generated portscans is currently not possible.

The second bug relates to a link that points to the ports database:

[snip]

payload.  In the TCP section, click on either the source or destination port
link.  These currently point to http://www.snort.org whereas I believe they
should be pointing to http://www.portsdb.org/.  The $external_port_link
variable defined in my acid_conf.php file is set to

This was fixed in CVS earlier this week.

Roman