Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort project update

From: Michael Boman <michael () ayeka dyndns org>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:27:44 +0800

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:11:32AM -0400, Martin Roesch wrote:
As for OS selection, use what you like.  When we implement Data
Acquisition Plugin's in Snort 2.0 this may become more of a factor, but
for now I'm hearing about a lot of people seeing alot of success using
Snort on Solaris, Linux, *BSD and Windows 2000.  Personally, I develop
Snort on FreeBSD and Sourcefire uses OpenBSD for our sensor appliance
OS, but I've been hearing some good things about the RedHat Turbo Packet
interface (which would require mods for Snort to use, not to mention my
general objection to RedHat's breaking stuff all the time).

I have got some patches for snort that uses REDIce Linux kernel (a
realtime Linux kernel) from REDSonic Inc. (http://www.redsonic.com).
The kernel mod is not open source, but I wonder if these patches
would be interesting for you? I haven't been able to put the work
to a real test yet, basicly because my lab network is quite limited.

/Michael Boman

--
There is no such thing as a system that is secure out of the box.
Tim [Timothy M. Mullen, CIO of AnchorIS.Com] claimed earlier this

-- Jesper M Johansson, Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Information
   Systems at Boston University - during a SANS audio broadcast