Snort mailing list archives

Re: upgraded some tools (snortplot)

From: Angelos Karageorgiou <angelos () iqs gr>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:46:34 +0200

Martin Roesch wrote:

Um, everything is working the way it was written to, there are no
problems here except for apparent inconsistency because of the way the
rules were written.  Maybe I should add the "[**]" back to the msg field
for syslog output so there's no confusion.

Well I was actually able to work around it. So do not bother, but I was trying
get other people's opinion on the subject of log analysis, and see how they
cope. You do not have to do anything.

I don't think that running things thru M4 would have helped in this case
particularly, it's perfectly valid to leave out pieces of the rules,
there are only a few things that are *required* to write a valid Snort
rule, which makes life easier for everyone in general.

Agreed