Snort mailing list archives

Re: NEWBIE: portscan tuning

From: Legus <eboo () softhome net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:54:25 +0800

Sorry,

This problem is driving me crazy. Any help? Is my conf setting wrong
with respect to the portscan?

Please help, thanks.

* eboo () softhome net (eboo () softhome net) wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've read the manual but still am not
sure what I am doing wrong.

I get portscan alerts from snort when I access the web:

[**] [100:1:1] spp_portscan: PORTSCAN DETECTED from a.b.c.d
(THRESHOLD 5 connections exceeded in 6 seconds) [**]
10/17-17:14:52.252947

/etc/snort/snort.conf:

var DNS_SERVERS a.b.c.d

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log
(i've also tried commenting out the above line, same effect)

preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS

How do I prevent get snort to not report portscans from my machine or
any network which I specify?

Thanks.

Eric