Snort mailing list archives

RE: AOL Rule

From: "Cessna, Michael" <MCessna () rtm com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:31:04 -0400

I cleaned the rule up a bit:
log tcp any any -> any 5190 (msg: "AIM packet"; content:"|2A
02|";depth:2;flags:AP+;classtype:not-suspicious;priority:0;)
log tcp any 5190 -> any any (msg: "AIM packet"; content:"|2A
02|";depth:2;flags:AP+;classtype:not-suspicious;priority:0;)

If you are not using the binary logging format than you can add the
LOGTO:"<filename>" option to the rule to have a separate log for the rule (I
use binary logging so I didn't add it to the rule). Also since we are
checking the payload of the data packet for the |2A 02| content with a depth
limit, the 5190 port should not be needed......I'll have to check that out.
Anyway I'm running this rule tonight and check the log against yesterdays
log when I get back in tomorrow to make sure that I'm not dropping anything
that should be logged. After that I'll test it without the port restrictions
since AIM can connect on just about any port. I'm not sure how much impact
that will have on snort but I'll set up a test sensor and find out. I'll let
you know what I find.
Mike