Snort mailing list archives

snort not capturing packets for alerts (sometimes)

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:00:04 +1300 (NZDT)

Hi All,
        I am running snort 1.8.1 on a debian linux system:
snort -A full -c rules.130.216.0.0 -d -D -e -h 130.216.0.0/16 -i eth1
-l /home/snort/LOGS/DMZ-OS/20011024/20011024.hh

Most of the time it dutifully logs packets that caused alerts into the
approriate directory but every now and again when I look for a packet
log there isn't anything there.

The snort process is restarted every hour, I run a hourly perl script
which I adapted from snorticus.

In some cases out of a bunch of very similar alerts some get logged and
some don't.

Any ideas as to what is going on or any hint as to how to debug this
problem.