Snort mailing list archives

AW: (Snort-users) Configure MySQL for multiple snort sensors

From: <sandro.poppi () wacker com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:46:00 +0200

Hi -

Hi Joe,

I've been trying to get multiple snort sensors to log to a
mysql database, with no luck so far.
I edited the mysql ini file to show the database binding to
the machine's IP (not localhost)
and using port 3306.  In snort.conf I use the same settings
(database at that IP..)
and I created a user on the DB which takes the form of
"sensorname@192.168.0.1". What I get
when I try to fire up the sensor is an error message which says
"database: my_sql error: Access denied for user:
'sensorname@<ip address>' (Using password: YES)
Fatal Error. Quitting.

I had the same prob a couple of times. I created the user the following way and
it worked:

mysql> grant INSERT,SELECT,DELETE,UPDATE on snort.* to snort@192.168.0.1
identified by 'YOUR_PASSWORD';
mysql> flush privileges;

where snort.* means your database tables, snort@192.168.0.1 means User snort
coming from the given ip.

This should be independent of the underlying OS.

[...]

HTH

Ciao,
Sandro