Snort mailing list archives

RE: iptable support

From: "Joshua Brindle" <jbrindle () snu edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:17:37 -0500

nah, i've looked at hogwash, and i like the concept but i do not like the implementation. Hogwash does userspace
copying from interface to interface and this is not what i want, i want something that fits in with netfilter so that
it can take advantage of linux's other abilities (ie: bridging, routing, etc) particularly hogwash is meant as an
inline stackless active NIDS, but i want something more like a switch (right now my setup as 3 nics, lan, dmz,
internet) and hogwash can't do this or do any routing or anything, and why set up 2 or 3 machines to do what 1 can?
I've taken a look at hogwash-iptables and i still don't really like the implementation, and hogwash seems to be bound
to (as of right now anyway) snort 1.7.1 so it  can't take advantage of anything newly added, i want either a drop in
pcap driver, or some way for snort to interact nativly with netfilter. Thanks though.

Joshua Brindle

"Benjamin W. Ritcey" <ben () ritcey com> 10/11/01 22:59 PM >>>
You want Hogwash

http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/