Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort not catching /bin/sh

From: "Barnes, Ross P ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor" <Ross.P.Barnes () erdc usace army mil>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:34:45 -0500

That is not the case. My other IDS will show the entire packet payload that
triggered the alert and the exploit definitely contains both strings of
content. It is just that the other IDS picks up on /bin/sh and Snort picks
up on _RLD only.

Ross

might be a silly question but are you sure both contents
where in the same packet when you tested - if they where
split across two packets then this rule would not match
them.

    Tom