Snort mailing list archives

RE: Odd traffic from Windows 2K servers

From: "Vazquez, Ed" <Ed.Vazquez () dhha org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:04:55 -0600

Oh yes, I am aware that these are the NETBIOS ports.  These are
internal Domain Controllers/Active Directory root servers so
NETBIOS is acceptable (well, UNIX with LDAP would be preferrable,
but since most folks here can't spell it I've got to work with
what I have).

My question is still:

Has anyone seen behaviour before where a Windows box will send
UDP traffic to _itself_?

If so, what was the cause (since Technet, Google, etc. turn up
nothing) and the cure?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions? (Other than ripping
them out and replacing with UNIX - already been there with the
PHB's.)

- Ed