Snort mailing list archives

RE:Somewhat OT but RE:AbuseRe:

From: Bob Hillegas <bobhillegas () pdq net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:11:02 -0500 (CDT)

Message: 1
From: "Madziarczyk, Jonathan" <than () cityofevanston org>
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:50:39 -0500
Subject: [Snort-users] Somewhat OT but RE:Abuse

Hey guys,

This is kind of a big question, I realize a lot of it depends on my
company's policy, but even your own procedures would be good to hear.....

Okay, so I set up snort and I do find "people" are trying to hack into my
web site or anything else for that matter.  What do I then do?  I've got an
IP address, now what?  I realize ping -a or something like that, but what if
DNS doesn't resolve?  Do any of you have a typical procedure you do?
Blocking the IP address is obviously a mixed bag (especially if it's a bot).

Any suggestions or ideas on where to look for this info would be great, and
very appreciated!

Sincerely,
JonM

You might be interested in the 'Distributed Intrusion Detection System'.
Log onto www.dshield.org and see whether you wish to install a script
(perl) to translate your log entries into submissions to their database.

Interesting concept.

--
Bob Hillegas
<bobhillegas () pdq net>