Snort mailing list archives

Nimda specific logging

From: Subba Rao <subba9 () home com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:41:50 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to log Nimda specific traffic to a file "nimda.log".
In snort.conf, I have defined a new ruletype, which is as follows:

ruletype nimda
{
 type alert
 output alert_fast: nimda.log
}

In my "nimda.rules" file, the rule syntax is as follows:

nimda tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 80 -> $HOME_NET any (.......)

With this new ruletype, I do not see any nimda specific logging going
into the "nimda.log". When I run SnortSnarf on the existing "alert" file,
their is mention of the "nimda.rules file" to some alerts.

Could someone point out what I am missing for this new ruletype?

Thank you in advance.
--

Subba Rao
subba9 () home com                     http://members.home.net/subba9/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com