Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort, Queso and iptables

From: Olaf Schreck <chakl () syscall de>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:57:44 +0200

Actually I reckon someone was posting a while ago on some(this?) mailing
list that certain versions of linux kernel craft packets in such way
that they appear as queso prints (some erroneous flags or something), if
someone is interested, I can really dig it up, but being short you can
blame broken linux kernel here :-)

s/broken/recent/

The Linux 2.4 kernels implement TCP ECN (RFC 2481) for traffic congestion
notification.  ECN makes use of 2 bits in the TCP header that were reserved
before.  As the original poster was connecting to a Linux site, I'd
assume it's 2.4 ECN rather than a Queso probe.

ciao,
chakl
--
Olaf Schreck, Syscall Network Solutions AG, Berlin