Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort as a host-based IDS

From: Chris Kirby <ckirby () streetviews com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:17:22 -0400

Fair enough! :)

I don't really have a dedicated machine available (yet, grin). But I do have
a freebsd box that is a Pentium3-750 with 128mb of ram, but it is currently
our bigrother/mrtg/syslog server. Average load times are around 0.11.

If our bandwidth is low (under 1mb/s), how much load will Snort add to this,
especially if I want to monitor the external and DMZ segment? Are there any
problems that you can think of in Snort co-existing with BigBrother? I could
not entirely lock down the server because I need to get some ports open for
the BigBrother daemon so I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not.

I would eventually move Snort to its own server but I don't think we'll have
any money for that for some time because all of the servers are co-located
and they take up costly rackspace :)

Thanks in advance!

Chris.