Snort mailing list archives

RE: Silly startup Question

From: Tim Parker <hostmaster () ebworld com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:25:53 -0400

Erek - thanks for the reply. I am extremely green when it comes to *Nix so
bear with me (I am from an NT backround). I unzipped the file into
/tmp/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE and then ran the following commands:

./configure
make
make install

At this point it had me creating some directories under /etc/snort for the
rules and moving files into them. I am not really sure whether or not those
first 3 commands actually installed anything?? Maybe I should just go back
into the NT/2000/XP world and install the port over there???

Any guidance or FAQ's on installing this would be greatly appreciated....I'm
just slightly lost...

Tim