Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS SPOOF query response with ttl: 1 min. and no authority

From: "James" <the_saint_james () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 01:07:34 -0700

So dig thinks it finds a nameserver at tully.cablevision.com, but I get
nothing back..

I wouldn't say that tells us much about whether it's been DDoS'ed or
whatever.

Thanks for clearing up the NS not responding vs NS responding, but no
records.

What sort of response were you expecting?

What prompted the query to 216.blah.blah in the first place?

Who knows ! Many users (ISP)  use this NS so logging is not deep enough to
see the whole trail of DSN queries and responses. So the context is lost and
this is just a packet Snort did not like. Maybe Santa will bring me that
syslog server I have been asking work for, then I can really see the big
picture.