Snort mailing list archives

Stating Facts

From: "Paul D. Shaffer" <paulshaf () earthlink net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:13:38 -0700

All,

        I find it eternally annoying when, from time to time, people post to
various lists like this making statements about certain things as if they
were fact when indeed, they are not.  In all too many cases these utterances
are actually opinion, marketing hype, misquoted, out-of-context, or even
occasionally plain old BS.

        Unless you are more like an omniscient genius with eons of experience (as
opposed to say, an aspiring newbie), I'd recommend considering your words
carefully before sending, towards making the information we share more
accurate and useful - a state of affairs I’m sure we all would appreciate.
It'd also go a long way towards increasing the flame threshold as well, I
think.

        Try couching your words with terms like "IMHO," "maybe," “I think,” or
"best guess” where appropriate.  If you don’t know, say so and if you’re not
sure, check first.  If you really don’t have current information or (God
forbid) the slightest idea about a particular subject, then by all means,
please just stay the heck out of it.

Sorry for the rant, but it was a long week and some off-topic BS got me
wound up last nite.  Many thanks…

Paul