Snort mailing list archives

RE: questions hids & nids

From: Michael Aylor <maylor () swbanktx com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:01:37 -0600

1.  NIDS works well to correlate HIDS events.  Also, NIDS catches events in
case you don't have a HIDS agent loaded on every machine.

2.  Snort copes very well.  The more streamlined your rules set, the better.
Lots of reports out on this (I think they have some posted on www.snort.org,
look for the NSS report, just released).

3.  Even better, it can log to a remote SQL server.  I imagine it can log to
a remote syslog server as well, but I try to stay away from flat text files
(they're icky).

No idea about the cvwms stuff.  Sorry.

Mike