Snort mailing list archives

Re: WEB-MISC false positives

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 17:34:07 -0400

According to Jason Haar:
There are too many rules that use "content" instead of "uricontent". This
means that for the "WEB-MISC /...." rule I get heaps of hits from the
"middle" of a POST - within the content being sent to the server. Any rule
that is looking for some filename or escape sequence should *always* use
uricontent - anything is valid once the Content-Length: header flows by...

Uh... No.

POST include variables.  Its usually a good idea to check the
variables for possbile exploitation.

Am I right about this? If so, could someone replace those "content" rules
with uricontent?

I reaudited them at your request and updated those that it is sane to
do so.  No, /.... is not one of them.

Also, should the owners of each of these modules be placed in the *.rules
files, so we can harrass them directly instead of going through the group :-)

Yeah.  Me.  :)

There is a mailing list to discuss rule changes.  snort-sigs.

Subscribe to it and bitch about rules there.

--
Kiss your keyboard goodbye!