Snort mailing list archives

Re: FlexResp and react keyword

From: Rob Collins <robtompc () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 16:53:56 -0700 (PDT)

Did a little more digging.  First I found the 'resp'
keyword works.  Eg,
suspicious tcp any any -> 127.0.0.1 23 (flags: !R;
resp: rst_snd;)
will shutdown the connection!  Success!

But, the poor 'react' keyword is still quirky.  A rule
like this;
suspicious tcp any any -> 127.0.0.1 80 (msg: "http
attempt"; react: block, msg;)
works, sort of.  First off, there's no 'flags: !R', so
it keeps triggering itself forever.  Second, I never
see the message.

I do see it in the -v isual output, but lynx just says
unable to connect to remote host.  I could try to keep
the rule from self-triggering with this 'flags: !R',
but then lynx gets the webpage (suspicious.log is
still generated, still unreadable due to a prase
error).  :(

I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug rather than
just my ignorance.

=====
--r
"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." -- F. P. Jones