Snort mailing list archives

Re: spp_portscan, is this something to be worried about

From: Arvind Clemente <arvind () controlnet co in>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:40:26 +0530

Hi Ronneil

Ronneil Camara wrote:

I'm a receiving so many traffic from our dns server specifically
spp_portscan. Is this something to be worried about? Is our dns server
compromised if it is so chatty about portscans

edit your snort.conf file na dconfigure to ignore your dns servers. Here
is what needs to be done

var DNS_SERVERS [x.x.x.x/24,x.x.x.x/24]
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS

In the  first line put dns servers ip addresses including the ISP's and
the second line tells to ignore portscans from your dns servers.

rgds

Arvind Clemente