Snort mailing list archives

snort 1.8.3 missing packets?

From: Dany Allard <dallard () alterna com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:59:31 -0700

Hello

  I am having problems running the new version of snort 1.8.3
I am currently running 1.8.2 without any problems. Once I upgrade to
snort 1.8.3, it seems that snort is not picking up all the attacks. (I
run an nmap scan from a remote machine, snort 1.8.3 logs nothing, or
just a Large ICMP packet, where as snort 1.8.2 logs all the traffic).
I am using the same rules and the same snort.conf file for both 1.8.2
and 1.8.3 (I did try the new rules but it didn't make a difference).
I start snort the same way for both. (/usr/local/bin/snort -i eth1 -D -b
-o -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx -c /etc/snort/snort.conf)
I compiled both using the .tar file.

I am running it on a Mandrake 7.0 kernel 2.2.14

Can anyone give me something to check? Do I have to start 1.8.3
differently? Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks in advance

Dany Allard