Snort mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap and 'ip-address-less' interfaces...

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:19:30 +0700

I think it is actually a legimate warning message:

    if(pcap_lookupnet(pv.interfaces[num], &localnet, &netmask, errorbuf) < 0)
    {
       if (!pv.readmode_flag)
       {
            ErrorMessage("WARNING: OpenPcap() device %s network "
                    "lookup: \n\t%s\n", PRINT_INTERFACE(pv.interfaces[num]), errorbuf);
       }
        /*
         * set the default netmask to 255.255.255.0 (for stealthed
         * interfaces)
         */
        netmask = htonl(defaultnet);
    }

Which makes sense, no ip address on an interface, no netmask. The only
thing which you'll have affected in this case is INTERFACE_<ifnum>
variable setting in snort.conf. (the variable will not be set).