Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 1.8.3-5 Syslog output on RH 7.2

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:08:19 -0600

"D&D Jordan" <info () dndjordan com> writes:

I have been trying to get snort to output to syslog for collection.
I have been unsuccessful.
My understanding was that snort by default logged to syslog,

It logs status messages to syslog but not packet alerts

but I have intentionally attacked my own network and still nothing
to syslog.  I have entries being logged to /var/log/snort/log and
several date@time entries but nothing is going to syslog.  When I
uncomment the "alert_syslog" output option, it logs an error to
/var/log/messages and exits.  Would anyone be willing to share with
me the solution to this problem?

There is a -A fast -b on the command line for the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd script

Remove these lines and syslog output can be yours.

If you run the snort command ( in snortd ) without the -D argument, it
will show you that command line arguments are overriding config file

Perhaps this warning should be tossed to syslog as well
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
A good pun is its own reword.