Snort mailing list archives

Updating signatures for windows port of Snort

From: "Catron, Geoff" <gcatron () dtae org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:55:48 -0500

Please forgive the elementary question, but I'm new to Snort and attempting
to update my signatures. I'm using the 1.7 Windows port.
I download and untar the files and replace contents of the rules directory
with the new rules files. When I start Snort I receive the following error
message for every ICMP Info and Virus rule:

ERROR ==> ...rules\icmp-info.rules(xx): Bad Priority setting "misc-activity"

or

ERROR ==> ...rules\virus.rules(xx): Bad Priority setting "misc-activity"

Snort appears to be running fine, but what should I do to correct the errors
so my logs don't contain all the nulls for these rules?

Also, is there a good source of documentation for Snort?

Thanks for any assistance.

Geoff Catron