Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to confirm

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:32:31 -0800

Sendhil:

First, realize that snort will only log or alert on whatever the current rules you are using will detect.

That would seem to be obvious, but some people seem to miss this fact...

To test, from outside the snort box, attempt to do something the current rules prohibit.

You might add rules into snort.conf that affects frequent normal traffice:

#
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 110 (msg:"TCP to 110 pop3";)
#
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 110 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"TCP from 110 pop3";)
#

or something like that.

HTH..

- John

ps: In the future it would be *real* helpful if you'd give some description of your layout, and what version of snort you're running...

Sendhil Kumar wrote:

Hi list

I am new to Snort.   I have installed snort in my Redhat box.    I want to
know how to check if the snort is working as it is supposed to.   I could
find much information about checking in the FAQ. May be i must have missed
the best part.  Please give me a hint how to check this  please

Regards

Sendhil