Snort mailing list archives

Announcement regarding Snort CVS

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:43:50 -0800

As announced last month, the Snort CVS repository has been branched.
This will allow us to maintain the 1.8 version of snort while working on
major changes for future releases.

In order to more easily support further development of Snort, we have
branched the CVS repository.  This action has created a branch for Snort
version 1.8.  Users who are not tracking the CVS repository are not
affected, the latest release of Snort will still be available for
download at www.snort.org.

If you are tracking the CVS repository, you will need to decide which
version you want to track.  We will be using the branch much in the same
way that the OpenBSD CVS repository use branches.  The 1.8 branch will
only receive bug fixes, all new development will occur in the main
branch.

Since we are planning on some major overhauls before the next major
version of snort, the main branch will be unstable and nonfunctional at
times.  Therefore, most of you will want to continue to use the 1.8
code.

In order to follow the 1.8 CVS branch, you will need to use the tag
"SNORT_1_8". to your CVS checkout command.

If you already have a CVS checkout, you can issue the command 'cvs
update -r SNORT_1_8'.  This cause your CVS checkout to now track the new
branch.

-Andrew