Snort mailing list archives

Re: RCV Only Cable for 100Base-T

From: "Joe Pampel" <joe () ardsley com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:48:30 -0500

Hi Erek:

#2 is an interesting solution - the inline capacitor rolls off the data freq and mangles the signal... easier than
putting in a 100ft + (or whatever) cable. I would have tried a LPF first, but maybe that kills the "link" signal..
Being an electric geek of sorts (tubes mostly these days though) I will look into the basic design of NIC cards and see
if there isn't a simple way to bunge a common NIC (say an E100B/i82550 based) by cutting a PCB trace or something. I
suspect the data and the "I'm alive" signal come from different pins on the chip.. at least that's my hope!
Building a NIC (if necc) might not even be that bad (joints like Mouser sell plug in proto boards and the steel end
brakets, cat 5 sockets, etc.).. famous last words?  Maybe it's really tough, but I'm hoping we all get a break on this
one and find the easy way.
This would be great for syslog servers, etc as well.

Thx,

- Joe

ps: if anyone has already been down this road and wants to save me gas and tolls, gimme a yell! :-)

Message: 3