Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort.conf doesn't recognize internal address

From: David Lambert <dave () demo legallock com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:11:30 -0600

Thanks, the problem was that I was not running on that interface, all is
fixed now. I am now running with the command line:

./snort  -d -i eth1 -c snort.conf

Dave.

On Monday 03 December 2001 11:00 am, Guillaume wrote:
En réponse à David Lambert <dave () demo legallock com>:
originally:
    var HOME_NET $eth1_ADDRESS
later :
    var HOME_NET eth1_ADDRESS
Dave.

Well, I re-read distrib. files and found that :

<extract>
#  variable <intname>_ADDRESS will be intialised to IP address/mask of the
# network which is configured on interface. Please note that snort has to
be # running on this interface.
#

var MY_NET $eth0_ADDRESS
</extract>

First remark : there is a '$' before the variable's name.
Second thought : how do you run snort ? Did you try to run it by specifying
the interface with the -i option ? (something like : snort -i eth1 .... )

Best regards,

Guillaume