Snort mailing list archives

Re: IP Address subdirectories

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:15:47 -0800

Phil:

/*wild guess follows*/

To quote the Snort User's Manual 1.8.3:

"./snort -dev -l ./log -h 192.168.1.0/24

"This rule tells Snort that you want to print out the data link and
TCP/IP headers as well as application data into the directory ./log,
and you want to log the packets relative to the 192.168.1.0 class
C network."

"All incoming packets will be recorded into subdirectories
of the log directory, with the directory names being based on the
address of the remote (non-192.168.1) host. Note that if both hosts
are on the home network, then they are recorded based upon the higher
of the two's port numbers, or in the case of a tie, the source address."

So I'm wondering if it's not working because because you have $HOME_NET *not* defined as a specific netblock.

> var HOME_NET any

Try setting $HOME_NET to an appropriate netblock for your internal network in snort.conf, or try something like this

-h 192.168.1.0/24

on the command line and see what happens.

- John

Phil Lyons wrote:

Voice/Fax: 630-839-6744
Hi,

I see no subdirectories under /var/log/snort for IP addresses.

I am familiar w/the faq 3.9:

3.9 --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq--
Q: Why are there no subdirectories under /var/log/snort for IP addresses?

A: It depends on how your snort configuration logs. If it logs in binary
  format, you'll have to process the binary log in order to get cleartext

BUT - I am not to my knowledge logging binary - unless by using mysql to log
alerts that means binary?

OK, so I am obviously new to the snort world  :-/

I do have a cleartext alert logfile in /var/log/snort.

My configuration is as follows:

My command line to start:
/usr/local/bin/snort -u root -g xxxxxxx -m 006 -de -D -i eth1 -l /var/log/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

My snort.conf lines:

---->cut

var HOME_NET any
output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=xxxxxxxx dbname=snort host=xx.x.x.x

---->cut

Using Version 1.8.1-RELEASE (Build 74) on Red Hat 7.0

I have recently added switches -e and -l /var/log/snort to try to get back my IP subdirectory logging. No luck.

What must I do to get my IP address logging facility back?

Your help is appreciated,

Phil Lyons