Snort mailing list archives

Re: "SHELLCODE x86 NOOP" from presumably non dangerous addresses

From: Guillaume <guillaume () anteria fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:34:30 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à Roberto Suarez Soto <robe () alfa21 com>:

Hi,

      I'm receiving several "SHELLCODE x86 NOOP" alerts from addresses like
"law2-www.hotmail.com" and another one in akamai (presumably, one of
those used in ad banners: a62-41-13-32.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com). Is
there a non-paranoid explanation of what could be happening?

      I think that maybe the transmission of some gif/jpg or some attach
could trigger the alert, but I'm not very sure.

I do confirm: I already noticed that this alert appeared during FTP file
transfers. The non-paranoid explanation being that the pattern (90 90 90 90 90
90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90) could be found in regular binary files.

You should always take a look at the packet load when such an alert based on
just that kind of content is triggered: I was about sending a furious e-mail to
some sysadmin after having seen tons of this alert when I saw that it was just
one of our clients transfering binary files to his website....

Guillaume