Snort mailing list archives

RE: Starting out: Question

From: "Madziarczyk, Jonathan" <than () cityofevanston org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:05:17 -0600

The GUIs (like acid, snortsnarf and the like) are typically used for sorting
the data that Snort picks up and wants to alert you on.  They're just flashy
front ends for the most part (no spam please, guys) ;-)

In the Win32 port of Snort, the documentation sets you up so that Snort is a
NT/2000 service (Accessible from NT in Control Panel/services, from 2000 in
Administrative Tools/Services).  If you read the documentation I noted
previously you will see a walk through of running Snort from a command line
(dos prompt).  This is essentially what the starting and stopping of the
service in NT/2000 does (This is also where that registry key gets used to
add variables to this process).

The registry key is an actual NT/2000 registry key and can be accessed by
running Regedit or regedt32 from Start/Run.  (Note:  Messing with the
registry improperly can make your system unusable or other bad stuff like
that). (HKLM is HKeyLocalMachine)

Take some time to RTM and it will start to make sense what's going on in the
back end.

Peace,
JonM

--"To err is human, to blame it on someone else shows serious management
potential."