Snort mailing list archives

RE: http_decode vs. alerts

From: Steve Halligan <agent33 () geeksquad com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:36:08 -0500

One more thing.  One could use unicode to obfuscate alot more than just
directory traversal attacks.  We should catch these obfuscations with the
signature engine rather than having to re-write the unicode plugin each time
a new variant turns up.

I don't really care how I get there, but I'd like to get to
the point where
all my alerts go to the same place.  Can I apply my custom
actions to the
preprocessor?  Should I just remove the http_decode lines and
just accept
the fact that I'll miss Unicode-obfuscated attacks?  Is there
another option
that I've missed?

This brings up another question I have.  Does the data that
the various decode and defrag preprocessors decode or defrag
get put through the signature matching engine after decoding
or defragging.  If so, way does the http and unicode spp's
have there own alerts that relate to stuff that could be
caught by a signature after decoding.  For example:

I send a http get like this:

GET /../../../winnt/cmd.exe

It would trip one of a number of signatures.   Directory
Traversal, cmd.exe access whatever.

I send a http get like this:

Get /..%5c..%5cwinnt/cmd.exe

It would decode it to:

GET /../../winnt/cmd.exe

Which would trip the same signatures as above.

But that is not what happens.  It trips an alert in
spp_unicode and that is it.  This spp_unicode alert cannot be
altered, sent to a different alert mech, or turned off
without disabling the entire spp_unicode spp.  Why doesn't it
just decode it, and put it through the signature engine?  I
believe this is the way spp_defrag works.  It only sends up a
special alert of its own when something specifically relating
to fragments happens.  The reassembled packet is pushed
through the signature engine like any other packet for
content checking.

-Steve