Snort mailing list archives

Re: no ip address on interface

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:27:41 -0500

I run this kind of configuration on OpenBSD 2.8 and have no problems. The only unusual bit is that the interface with no IP address has to be forced up, default boot leaves it down.

I run with: snort -k none -D -i rl1 -c /etc/snort.conf

and the -k is just because the snort box is right behind a router that doesn't forward corrupted packets, so why waste the time checking checksums.

I'd make sure with tcpdump that the traffic of interest is actually appearing on that interface. Are you sure that port isn't on a normal switch port or something of the sort? tcpdump uses libpcap to grab packets, just like snort does, so it's a good first test.