Snort mailing list archives

Re: http directory traversal

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:23:36 -0500

According to RAMALINGA Reddy:
Hi,
      I started using snort along with the rules that come with it. There
is one rule in web-misc.rules that reports "WEB-MISC http directory
traversal" if the content is either "..\\" or "../". I think this rule
should be looking for the same in uricontent rather than in content. Is
there any reason why it is looking in the content ? Please clarify.

Yes, there is a reason for looking in the entire packet.  Did you read the
mail archives?  I answered this question quite some time ago.

Form variables are the one of the most exploited "issue" for web
applications.  Directory traversal happens in form variabes quite
often.  Because of this, we want to look for the "../" inside of form
variables, which can be sent to the web server via HTTP POST.  HTTP
POST does not include variables in the URI.

Limiting the content search to the URI would miss a large number of
attacks.

--
If North America were a turkey club at a diner, canada'd be the plate.  Big,
white, and there, but out of the way, and you never really think about it.